Sunday, May 8, 2011

Philadelphia - Sat May 7th, 2011

Headed out after breakfast and walked to the Old City are where the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and Constitution Hall are located. Did a tour of Independence Hall, very interesting. Saw the original chair that George Washington sat in. Went to the Liberty Bell centre - much smaller than i had expected and today i felt like I was in Japan with all of the tourists - minus their manners!! We had to go through security bag checks at each of these places and we thought it was because of recent events, but it turns out the Liberty bell used to be in the park surrounded by glass until about 6 months before 9/11 some idiot took to the glass with a hammer. Hence the bell was moved to a new building and security checks introduced!
Went to Betsy Ross house and Elpreth Alley. Both very interesting and very old considering they go back to the 1700's. The history here is everywhere! Back on the bus and Chris and I got off for lunch near the hotel whilst the others continued around the bus route again. After a quick bite to eat Chris and I headed for a look around Macy's - Really elegant building with pipe organ upstairs. Very pretty building compared to Macy's in New York. I'm now heading up to the room for a rest as my throat is quite sore and I don't particularly want to travel home feeling like sh*t.
We head off home tomorrow via Chicago and LA, so I guess there will be no breakfast in bed for mother's day. To my mum Kate, Happy mother's day and I will see you next week. xxxx

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mothers Day to you, Jenny McH & the other ladies you are travelling with. Julz if you have time to kill check out Kathys blog........ 4 new patterns !

    ReplyDelete